Non-Canadians planning on studying in Canada must obtain a Study Permit from Immigration and Citizenship Canada (CIC) for courses longer than 6 months in duration.
WHAT YOU NEED TO STUDY IN CANADA
The following documents are required to apply for a study permit:
- A letter of acceptance from InFocus Film School.
- A valid passport. Please ensure your passport is valid for more than one year from the program’s start date. If your passport will expire in less than a year from the program’s start, you may need to renew it before a study permit will be granted.
- Two passport-sized photos of you with your name and date of birth written on the back.
- Proof of funds. You will need a bank statement, bank draft or other documentation proving you have sufficient funds to support yourself for your time in Canada.
- Criminal history records or a medical examination may be required.
- A service fee.
More information on the required documentation is available here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp
InFocus works closely with several immigration agents. They can streamline the process, and ensure that your submitted application is complete. The Visa assistance fee is $350. Please email us if you would like this service.
After submitting the required information, CIC may take several months to process your application. Allow for sufficient time before your course begins.
You will receive a letter of approval once your application has cleared. This is not your Study Permit. Bring this letter with you when entering Canada and the customs official handling your entry will issue your permit.
WORKING WHILE STUDYING
A Work Permit does not allow you to study in Canada. If you already have a Work Permit, you will also need a Study Permit if one is required. You can obtain a Study Permit without giving up your Work Permit.
A Study Permit does allow limited access to jobs in Canada. InFocus asks that you do not work while attending classes, but if you are a full-time student your Study Permit will allow you to work during scheduled breaks. Please check the CIC website for details.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON STUDY PERMITS AND HOW TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT THE CIC WEBSITE