SCRIPT SUPERVISOR INTENSIVE
Duration: 2 Weeks (10 Days)
Time: 9:00am – 5.00pm
Capacity: 15 students
Course Fee: $1995
We’ve all watched movies with glaring continuity errors. Whether it be phantom props or jolting axis breaks, these errors take the audience out of the story. On set, it’s the Script Supervisor that makes sure everything will cut together seamlessly. Otherwise known as the “on-set editor” Script Supervisors play an essential role in every production. Don’t be fooled by the fact that Continuity is typically only a one-person department, this position is far from easy. Script Supervisors act as safety nets for the entire creative team — from props, to makeup, camera and lighting! In this course, students will learn all stages of Script Supervision/Continuity — from pre-production and production to the completion of reports for the Production Manager/ Editor.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Anyone with ambitions or interests in being a script supervisor will greatly benefit from this course. It is designed for anyone who wants to learn or be refreshed on what to do in this position, and for people with film experience that want to move up the ladder or transition into this career path. Previous experience in continuity is not required.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- What a script supervisor is and does.
- Continuity and it’s importance in storytelling
- How to complete a continuity breakdown by correctly identifying and categorizing script elements, counting page eighths, and story day, story TOD, ERT, PRT etc
- Slating, “lettering-up,” counting takes, etc.
- How to complete a daily production report and calculate scenes, pages, ERT, PRT, Set-ups, ART, etc.
- How to to create professional continuity notes, an editor log, facing page, lined script, timecode log, and report to the editor
- Line of axis, eye-lines, and screen direction during single camera and multi-camera shooting
- How to ensure scene coverage and provide professional production notes for all crew departments as well as the post-production team
- How to track elements and keep a keen eye out for continuity
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- A laptop or tablet with reliable internet access.
- A stopwatch (One on your phone will work)
- Excel or Adobe PDF viewer
- Highlighters in various colours, pens, ruler, and notepad
- ScriptE Software (Student options exist, we’ll go over this in class)
- Recommended reading: Beyond Continuity by Mary Cybulski
Please read our cancellation policy here.
NOTE: This program does not require PTIB approval.