So you’re thinking of studying film in Canada. Did you know Canada is home to a billion dollar TV and Film industry? And much of the action happens right here in Vancouver, BC.

Whether you’re interested in directing, producing or cinematography,  Vancouver is the place to be. If you want to study film in Canada as an international student, here is what you need to know.


Because InFocus programs are 6 or more months in length, students require a study permit.  Study Permits are issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

InFocus is on the Designated Learning Institutions list, which means we are authorized to host international students. When you apply for your study permit, you will be asked to provide proof of your acceptance from InFocus. You will also need to provide a bank statement or proof of loan to show that you have enough money to live and pay your bills while you are studying in Canada.

You should apply for a Study Permit as early as possible, as it can take several months to process an application, depending on your home country.


International students may seek a work permit after graduating, and can plan ahead to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident. We recommend you do your research at Citizenship and Immigration Canada or speak to a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). InFocus works with a RCIC that can go over your options with you.


Depending on your country of origin, you also may need a Temporary Resident Visa. Find out if you need a visa here.

*This is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be relied upon in such a manner.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply