Register for our hands-on documentary workshop and discover how you can spin an interesting idea into a compelling, visual narrative.
On day one, learn about the many genres of documentary film and principals of good storytelling. Delve into camera theory, story principals, stages of documentary production, and complete the day engaged in valuable camera exercises that will start you on the path towards becoming a documentary filmmaker!
On day two, students will learn how to approach distributors and broadcasters to sell your documentary. Learn about documentary treatments, proposals, and demos and the basics of pitching your film.
The afternoon will consist of lighting workshops. The basic principles lighting for film will be covered such as direction, mood, and light quality. You’ll learn universal lighting techniques, and how to manipulate and control lighting to set a mood and capture your audience. An exercise covering light direction and using available light will complete the day.
- Intro to the documentary genre
- Three-act structure and building a story
- Visual and screen grammar
- Creative shot sequences for documentaries
- White balance, exposure, and other fundamental camera skills
- Hands-on camera exercise
- Selling your film
- Treatments, proposals, and pitching
- Demos for documentary
- Lighting for documentary
- Available light and bounces
- Understanding light direction and mood